My name is Tim Schmoyer and welcome to Video Creators, a channel that is all about helping you guys grow your YouTube audiences so you can spread a message that changes lives. With me is my good friend Mr. Jeremy Vest from VidPow.
Today we are going to talk about how to get people to like your videos in order to rank for a broader range of topic. Last week we talked with Darrell Eaves about session watch time. Session watch time is the number one most contributing factor to have videos rank. And it is a big secret. What we are talking about today is another one of those secrets.
Let’s say you’re talking about hairstyles. Hairstyle is a bigger topic compared to the topic of braids. Most of us miss those bigger topics when posting videos. They are actually better to aim for versus each individual video. For instance, a particular type of beard style isn’t going to rank that well. But 12 videos on beard styles for men or beard styles 2016 could be huge traffic for your YouTube channel.
If you were to make 12 individual videos on 12 types of beard, what could you do with those videos to get them all ranking under the broader topic of beards?
Playlists are the key to reaching those bigger topics.One of the things most people do not know about playlist and ranking, specifically for ranking, is an exact phrase. Do you do exact phrase playlists? For example, “Beard Styles for Men – Name of Beard, Brand Name”. “Beard Styles” is the playlist name, and the rest is the video title. You would also put the beard name and brand name in the description of the video for closed captioning purposes. The folks at VidPow call this the nested strategy.
So here are 4 things you need to know:
- The title of the playlist, the description of the playlist, the title of the videos, and the description of the videos all going together in one playlist to help all the videos.
- Always think bigger. Don’t just think about the video you’re doing today because, if you’re just doing one-off style videos, you’ll probably never be a perceived thought leader for that one thing. But if you’re always talking about hairstyles, then you should probably really do well on the 27 types of braids you have.
- So if ranking your videos really well for a broader topic of things, individual topics for the video, the broader thing for the playlist, session watch time, all the stuff we’ve been talking about here for the past few weeks, are all really important.
- And one way you can learn more about all this at the stuff is on Jeremy’s podcast called Tube Talk. You can find it on iTunes, SoundCloud, and Stitcher. And there’s a direct link to it in the description below if you want to go check it out. But what is it over at Tube Talk? What do you guys do there?
I’m looking forward to reading what you guys have to say in the comments. And if this is your first time here, you should subscribe because this channel is all about helping you guys grow your YouTube audiences. And ranking videos is something that’s a part of that. So subscribe, spread messages that change lives, and I will see you guys again next week for another video. See you then.
– The Best Way to Rank Videos #1 in Search
– Listen to TubeTalk on iTunes
– More about VidPow
– Beard icons used under CC license
On Video Creators we help creators learn how to grow their YouTube audience so they can spread messages that change lives and build businesses that make it sustainable.
FREE EBOOK: “The Secret to Building your YouTube Audience”
SUPPORT: Many bonus perks for those who become a patron of Video Creators!
MY FAMILY’S VLOGGING CHANNEL: Schmovies