We’ve all heard it said, “If you love what you do, you’ll never work a day in your life!” That’s why we started in YouTube, right?!
At the beginning of your YouTube journey, I bet you were so excited to jump in! You had a great vision of what the future was going to look like: freedom, independence, spreading your message, changing people’s lives, doing something you’re passionate about! And then you start making money and achieving the thing you set out to accomplish. You’re doing it!
But soon you found that the excitement gives ways to a grind. It’s a hustle mentality that you can’t sustain at the same pace going forward into the future. You want to slow down, but you can’t. The business requires too much from you. You feel stuck and disillusioned because the the life you thought your YouTube channel and business would provide ends up providing the same experience you had when working a 9-5. But now your work is never done. You can’t take time off and if you do, you are always thinking of what you should be doing.
“This should be the dream! But I just feel stuck instead.” – This is a common feeling. This hustle mentality kills your soul. And that’s exactly what we are talking about in this week’s podcast as I sit down with my financial advisors. But instead of just complaining, we give you the 5 capitals you can invest in instead to feel fulfilled without the nonstop hustling.
First of all, you have to figure out what is your end goal. Is it to make more money? – For what? What will that do for you? Is it to have more time? -For what? What would you spend that time doing? You need to figure out what is your actual driving factor behind all of this. What will give you the most fulfillment? To do this, you must make sure you’re investing in the 5 most important capitals in your life, in this order:
- Spiritual Capital – What are the eternal values that drive you? What gives you internal fullness? Relationship with God? Prayer? Family? Nature?
- Relational Capital – Having good relationships around you can make you feel more fulfilled than money ever will.
- Physical Capital – Can you use your body and space? It doesn’t matter if you have a pile of money if you are completely paralyzed.
- Intellectual Capital – Using what you know to help others. This is probably why you started your YouTube Channel to begin with! The desire to teach others brings fulfillment.
- Financial Capital – This is the easiest to acquire. It’s easier to make a buck than to make a life-long friend. But there is a baseline that we need in order to keep everything else in line.
So how do we get these five capitals in order? We can feel like the financial capital is the priority now and we don’t have time for the others. How do we keep these in line?
Write a vision statement! I know it sounds cheesy, but what is your unique vision in your life? Write it out and make sure you are covering these things. Now how do you accomplish it? Sit down with your family and make a game plan! When you do it this way, you will see the end goal and keep it in mind during seasons. It can also be your north star. If you work more than a certain number of hours in a day, you can see that you are physically suffering or relationally suffering. Use this is a sign to take a break and correct your course.
But maybe you feel totally lost and totally overwhelmed. What do you do? Go sit in your car for an hr. Leave your phone behind and think these things through.
- When have you felt the most fulfilled in life? What were you doing? What were you feeling?
- When did you feel like you were most using your unique gifting? When did you just feel like a boss? What makes you feel like you are on top of the world?
- What are the things that people continually point out that you are good at?
- What is your end goal with these things in your life and what are just distractions disguised as opportunities?
Sometimes you have to say no to good things so you can say yes to the best things.
You have to make boundaries for yourself. Just working until you’re dead isn’t the solution. Figure it out. Make an end game goal so you can check back in and make sure that what you are doing is getting you to the sense of satisfaction that you are made for.
So what do you think? Do you have a comment, reaction, question, a YouTube tip to share, or just want to say hi? Leave a voice message for us and we may use it in an upcoming podcast episode. https://www.speakpipe.com/videocreators
Keep changing lives!